Ernie Otten, Jr. is running for his 3rd term for the District 6 State Senate seat in the November 8th, 2016, General Election.
Senator Otten was elected Majority Whip in his 2nd term. He was also selected to attend the bi-partisan Bowhay Institute for Legislative Leadership Development with other Midwestern & Canadian legislators at no cost to taxpayers; and Senator Otten represented South Dakota at the Republican State Leadership National Meeting in Boston – again, at no cost to taxpayers.
- Currently serves on the following Senate Committees:
- State Affairs and Transportation
- Currently serves on State-Tribal Relations
- Had also served on the following Senate Committees:
- Ag & Natural Resources and Taxation
- Appointed Chair of Senate Taxation Committee at the beginning of the second year of his first term
- Chaired the summer Consumer Protection Taskforce which included bi-partisan legislators, statewide businesses & organizations
- The resulting bill, SB 23, revised Consumer Protection Laws which passed both Chambers almost unanimously
- Co-sponsored bills which protects small school districts’ boundary lines & prevents loss of tax revenue. Passed with bi-partisan support
- Sponsored SB 63 which protects private student data from being shared with the Federal Government and from being sold to 3rd parties. The bill passed both the Senate and House unanimously
- Common Core: Sponsored SB 64 which provided a 2-yr waiting period for the adoption of new standards & provided for public comment. Passed both Chambers with almost unanimous bi-partisan support
- Co-sponsored SB 70 which reformed Criminal Justice Laws. Passed both Chambers with bi-partisan support
- Primed and co-sponsored several bills to protect 2nd Amendment rights in South Dakota